Good Shepherd

Good Shepherd

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

D&C 24: 8

 “Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.”

                ‘For thou shalt have many’, isn’t that the truth? Sometimes it feels like once you have knocked down one trial another one pops back up. Our trials will keep coming, but we should not fear. We are more than capable of handling our trials especially with the help of our Heavenly Father. He has promised us that He will be with us always to help us with our trials. All we have to do is reach out to Him and let Him help us.
                Trials are for the most part not to punish us. They are also not to make us feel weak and realized our faults, but to help us realize our strengths. We are strong, stronger than we think with the Lord on our side. This reminds me of the resiliency principle I learned about in my Family Processes class. The principle says that people are capable of handling more than they think they can at first. For instance a person who is seeing cannot imagine living a life blind. Those people who have lost their eyesight do not simply die, they live on, and they live quite well. We don’t know what we can handle until we have dealt with it. This principle is not due to some genetic mutation in human beings, but because we are divine beings with the assistance of a greater power, Heavenly Father.
                The first part says we should endure our afflictions with patience. For me this is the hardest part. I know that I will get out of my trial, but I am so focused on getting out of it, I do not stop to think of what I should be learning from this experience and the experience is wasted and often times repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment